Since I started my new “get healthy” programme, I have not changed my diet drastically. Our meals were already homemade and relatively healthy. I have, however, cut down on the extra items that had slowly crept into our diet; dessert after dinner, treats on the train, ice cream on hot days, fresh bread every day, etc.
I have a few dishes that I regularly cook for dinner and a variation of this soup is one of them. It’s spicy and tangy and you can basically add anything you like. You can keep it veggie or add some chopped pancetta or ham for more protein.
<recipe after the jump>
Easy and Healthy Vegetable Soup
*makes 6 servings*
The basic ingredients:
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1.8 litres boiling water (from kettle)
- 2 carrots
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 can chick peas
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 lemon
- I do not add any additional salt as I believe the vegetable stock cube has enough
Suggested extras to try:
- sweet potato
- chopped cilantro (garnish)
- pancetta or ham
- mini pasta
- mini tortellini
1. Heat large soup pan on med-high heat. Add olive oil and sauté chopped onions and garlic. If you’re adding raw ham or pancetta add it at this time as well.
2. Add cumin, chili powder and vegetable stock cube and stir into onion mixture.
3. Boil 1.8 litres of water in kettle and add to pan.
4. Add can of chopped tomatoes. Turn heat down so that the soup stock is on a slow boil.
5. Chop vegetables and add them to the pot. Certain vegetables need more cooking time, so don’t add them all at once. If you’re using zucchini or mushrooms, add them about 10 minutes before you wish to serve the soup.
6. Ten minutes before serving add the chickpeas (lentils, pasta, etc).
7. Right before serving, squeeze in the lemon juice.